It’s that time of year again. The project-that-shall-not-be-named is about a month and change away — remember, there are 123 teams this year — which means it’s time for a break. It’ll last one week, like last year’s vacation. Itll begin tomorrow and run through next Sunday. It’ll be at an undisclosed location on the West Coast. As a slight hint, I’ll be within 150 miles of three F.B.S. programs. It won’t be one of those extreme vacations: it’ll be calm, and sleepy, and calm, and relative tasteful. I like to think of it as a glimpse of retirement life, should that ever come to pass. Let’s discuss that and a few other housecleaning notes.
It’s one thing for conferences to expand; that does nothing for my bottom line. But what happens when teams take a step up the ladder? That means another three previews: Massachusetts, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State. That’s not in order of ranking, by the way. Alphabetical.
Let’s do the math. The season kicks off on Thursday, Aug. 30. If the project-that-shall-not-be-named runs with one preview in each of the 123 days leading up to that Thursday, it’ll kick off on April 30. But there are options. If I want to add a few days — maybe take a day off in June, or July, or August — I could pencil in the first day for, say, April 25.
Or April 26. Whatever. But what if No. 1 drops on Saturday, Sept. 1? Then the first team falls on May 1. And so on and on. Anyway, because it’s never too early to look ahead to the project-that-shall-not-be-named, let’s plan on No. 123 dropping on April 26. I can’t believe that there’ll be 123 teams. Daunting.
So what about next week? There won’t be much going on ‘round these parts. Peace. Quiet. No readers. But I have some things scheduled for the week: another retrospective, a few posts to get a conversation going and a brief post on the N.C.A.A. tournament.
That’s the plan. Anyway, enjoy yourselves. Barring some bouts with illness — there was that case of the Ebola virus last year, the bird flu in 2010 — this site only goes dark for one week every 12 months. That’s an attendance rate of 98.1 percent.
Cue Woody Allen: “80 percent of success is just showing up.” The other 20 percent? Don’t ask. See you on Monday the 26th, barring jet lag, a snorkeling accident or a surprise job offer to remain in California. I probably wouldn’t turn that down.
- Documentary tonight shows wrongful convictions do happen
- Brittany Yachere’s passion for softball helped her start team at Atlantic Cape Community College
- Setting Early Non-B.C.S. Conference Odds
- NBC Learn follows students on trip through South
- Brunswick woman pleads guilty to second-degree murder of Shallotte real estate agent